- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 26, 2014

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Las Vegas fire officials say a man in a veterans housing complex has serious burns after a fire in one of the apartments.

Authorities say they responded to the Veteran’s Village apartments on South Las Vegas Boulevard a little before 9 a.m. Wednesday.

They found a heavy fire in one of the second-story studio apartments, and put it out in about five minutes.

Officials say a middle-aged man was taken to University Medical Center with serious burns on his legs and smoke inhalation.

Investigators say the fire appears to be accidental and sparked by careless smoking. Damage is estimated at $25,000.

Veteran’s Village provides transitional housing to needy veterans, as well as job placement, counseling and other services.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide