- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A 14-year-old girl in Maine was treated for second-degree burns after her Apple iPhone caught fire while in her pants pocket.

The phone caught fire as soon as the girl, who was unidentified, sat down in class Friday at the Middle School of the Kennebunks, United Press International reported.

“Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student,” Principal Jeff Rodman said. “She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cellphone.”

The girl remembered to “stop, drop and roll,” which caused the phone to fall out of her pocket.

Girls in the class helped her get her pants off in a corner while the boys were ushered out of the room, UPI reported.

She was treated at Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford. Her mother had given her the Apple iPhone 5C two months earlier, the Associated Press reported.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide