- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 5, 2014

VALLEY CITY, N.D. (AP) - Portable heaters are being blamed for a Valley City house fire that led to a close call for a mother and two children and injured a firefighter.

Fire Chief Gary Retterath tells KOVC radio that two portable heaters were placed too close to a bed in the home’s basement, igniting the Jan. 28 blaze.

Linda Schonert and her children escaped the burning house by jumping from a second-floor bedroom window. They suffered scratches on their legs when they hit a porch roof and then fell to the ground.

One firefighter suffered smoke inhalation as he was turning off the natural gas connection to the house.

The home was destroyed.


Information from: KOVC-AM, https://www.newsdakota.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide