- Associated Press - Thursday, February 6, 2014

MADRID (AP) - Rafael Nadal will miss next week’s ATP tournament in Buenos Aires after a stomach virus set back his return from a back injury sustained at the Australian Open.

The world’s top-ranked player says on “Thursday morning a stomach virus kept me from training, so my entire schedule has been delayed.” Nadal says the delay, coupled with the tournament starting on Monday, led to his withdrawal.

In Thursday’s video message, Nadal did not speculate on whether he will play at the following tournaments in Rio de Janeiro, Indian Wells and Miami.

Nadal had been making steady progress in his recovery from the back injury, which contributed to his loss to Stanislas Wawrinka in the final in Melbourne.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide