- Associated Press - Sunday, February 9, 2014

MANALAPAN, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say a resident doing yard work accidentally started a fire that severely damaged a central New Jersey home.

No injuries were reported in the fire, which broke out shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday in Manalapan. But the extensive smoke and fire damage left the home uninhabitable.

Authorities tell the Asbury Park Press (https://on.app.com/1f7d1fE) that the resident was working with a chainsaw and put it down on top of dry pine needles. The needles quickly caught fire, and the blaze spread to a nearby pine tree.

The tree was near the home’s gas meter, which caught fire, and the flames then spread to the home’s siding and attic before the fire was extinguished.

The Monmouth County Fire Marshal’s Office deemed the fire accidental.

___

Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, https://www.app.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide