- Associated Press - Sunday, February 9, 2014

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - The Department of Public Safety is urging Minnesota residents who have homes heated with natural gas to clear their meters of ice and snow.

The DPS’s Office of Pipeline Safety says ice or snow could block the regulator vent and cause a malfunction - which could lead to a possible gas leak, fire or explosion, or interruptions in service.

Authorities advise people to brush snow off of meters, and call their gas company if meters are covered in ice so professionals with the proper tools can open up blocked vents.

Gas meters that ice up regularly are usually below the drip line of a roof and catch moisture when snow melts.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide