- Associated Press - Wednesday, January 15, 2014

MUNCIE, Ind. (AP) - The Muncie Community Schools’ chief financial officer says the district must come up with about $2 million to operate school buses next school year after state officials denied a waiver request to eliminate transportation for students.

The Star Press reports (https://tspne.ws/KjH6zT ) Chief Financial Officer Mark Burkhart told the school board Tuesday that many of the cost-cutting suggestions offered by the Indiana Department of Education last week in its denial of the waiver will not work for the district.

Burkhart says that unless the district comes up with another funding plan, it must reach into its general fund for the necessary $2 million, and that will require cuts in staffing.

Muncie voters in November rejected a property tax increase that would have provided $3.3 million for bus service.

___

Information from: The Star Press, https://www.thestarpress.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide