- Associated Press - Friday, January 31, 2014

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Fisheries officials say walleye anglers on Mille Lacs Lake will likely see regulations similar to last year despite its struggling walleye population.

The Department of Natural Resources says the safe harvest level has been set at 60,000 pounds for the upcoming season. Out of that total, 42,900 pounds are allocated to sport anglers while 17,100 pounds are for eight Chippewa bands with treaty rights.

DNR Fisheries Chief Don Pereira says existing and potential new restrictions will provide the needed protection and won’t impair the lake’s ability to produce future generations of walleye.

Mille Lacs hasn’t produced a strong year class of walleye since 2008 despite adequate spawning stock and excellent fingerling production.

Pereira says size and bag limits won’t be finalized until after the DNR confers with stakeholders in February.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide