- The Washington Times - Friday, July 4, 2014


“On Independence Day, the Libertarian Party calls on American voters to declare independence from the Republican and Democratic parties, declares Nicholas Sarwark, the newly elected chairman of the Libertarian Party.

“The Republicans and Democrats have no interest in securing our rights - they have become ‘destructive of these ends,’ and now spend most of their time working on new ways to violate our rights. It’s time to throw them out,” he continues.

“According to recent Gallup polling, 46 percent of Americans now consider themselves ‘independent’ from the Democratic and Republican parties. We urge the other 54 percent to join them.”

Mr. Sarwark, 34, sees a big political muddle out there.

“The Republicans and Democrats have maintained their power partly by fostering the illusion that they are significantly different from each other. Supporters are told that if the other team gets elected, the world will end. In reality, the Republicans and Democrats are so similar that it doesn’t matter which of them are in power,” he says.

Sign up for Daily Opinion Newsletter

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide