- Associated Press - Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says some of its staff in Atlanta may have been accidentally exposed to dangerous anthrax bacteria because of a safety problem at one of its labs.

Agency officials say the risk of infection is low, but that about 75 staff members were being monitored or given antibiotics as a precaution.

A statement from the agency says the problem occurred when bacteria samples that were not completely inactivated were moved from a higher level biosafety lab to a lower level one not designed to handle such samples.

The problem was discovered last Friday, when live anthrax bacteria were found on some materials being gathered for disposal. The statement says some of the anthrax may have become airborne the previous week.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide