- - Wednesday, March 26, 2014

“A conversation on comprehensive immigration reform” (Web, March 23), Armstrong Williams’ interview of Center for Immigration Studies fellow Mike Cutler, seems to be nothing more than an exercise in “can’t do.”

In responding to the questions posed by Mr. Williams, Mr. Cutler gives the typical, short-sighted responses one would expect from a young teenager trying explain why today is not a good day to mow the grass.

For example, Mr. Cutler points out in his answer concerning border security and a border fence that 40 percent of illegal immigration does not come across the southern border. It’s as though he’s saying the southern border is only 60 percent of the problem, so let’s move on.

In my world, solving 60 percent of a problem leaves the remaining 40 percent a lot more manageable and more likely to get solved. However, what do I know, right? I’m one of the unwashed masses upon which politicians and pundits look down.

Mr. Cutler then goes on to imply that illegal immigrants working for substandard wages and living in terrible conditions constitute a black eye on the American people. In fact, he states he is often “outraged and sickened” by the conditions in which he has found some illegals.

Join the club, Mr. Cutler — the majority of us are outraged by the exploitation of any human being. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t it our current gaggle of politicians that is allowing the flood of illegal immigrants to saturate an already tight job market? That’s what leads to this type of exploitation.

There is also Mr. Cutler’s confusion about whether there is a “Latino vote” complicating the immigration-reform movement, his concern that the huge percentage of Hispanic illegal immigrants could be targets of immigration authorities simply because they are Hispanic, and my favorite: his accusation of bigotry against those who imply that black, Hispanic and Jewish voters cast their votes in blocs. No one is claiming 100 percent of any group votes one way or another, but “voting blocs” do exist.

I think Mr. Cutler is a serious and caring person looking for solutions to a real problem facing us. However, I also think he needs to face reality when seeking those solutions rather than try to reword real problems into politically correct phrases. We need to find a sustainable, fair way to welcome those who want to come to this country.



Sign up for Daily Opinion Newsletter

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide