- Associated Press - Friday, March 28, 2014

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Des Moines Water Works says recent testing has indicated a high level of a disinfectant byproduct in the drinking water, but it remains safe to consume and use.

The water utility said in a news release Friday that a snap shot of its water quality received on March 21 showed too much trihalomethanes. The water exceeded the regulatory standard for the chemical compound, which forms when chlorine reacts with organic matter.

Officials say they’ve been applying disinfectant treatment for weeks to reduce runoff impact from spring melting, which can cause elevated levels of ammonia. Chlorine levels in the water have been purposely higher.

Bill Stowe, CEO and general manager of Des Moines Water Works, says the utility is responding with “a sense of urgency to remedy the issue.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide