Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley announced Thursday that he has cut the state’s funding to Planned Parenthood, making his the third state to defund the organization since last month’s release of alarming undercover videos.
“The deplorable practices at Planned Parenthood have been exposed to Americans. I’ve terminated any association with the organization in AL,” Mr. Bentley said in on Twitter.
In a brief letter posted on LifeNews.com, Mr. Bentley gave 15 days notice to Planned Parenthood Southeast CEO Staci Fox of his decision to terminate the state’s agreement.
“As a doctor and Alabama’s Governor, the issue of human life, from conception to birth and beyond, is extremely important to me,” Mr. Bentley said on Twitter. “I respect human life, and do not want Alabama to be associated with an organization that does not.”
Since the release of undercover videos by the pro-life Center for Medical Progress, Louisiana and New Hampshire have also cut off funding by ending contracts with their local Planned Parenthood chapters.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Monday that he had cancelled a state contract that provides funding via Medicaid, while the New Hampshire Executive Council voted 3-2 Wednesday against funding with Planned Parenthood of Northern New England.
Those Planned Parenthood affiliates still receive funding from other states and the federal government. A Senate vote to defund Planned Parenthood failed when it came up short of the 60 votes needed to override a Democratic filibuster.