- Associated Press - Monday, December 21, 2015

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Fire investigators have concluded a fire that badly damaged the Annapolis Yacht Club was caused by an electrical malfunction with a pre-lit artificial Christmas tree.

The Annapolis Fire Department said in a news release Monday that damage estimates are expected to exceed $9 million.

The three-alarm fire happened on Dec. 12. A firefighter was treated for minor injuries.

Annapolis Fire Chief David Stokes noted that it’s the second time a Christmas tree fire has had a major impact in the Annapolis community. In January, an electrical fire that spread to a 15-foot Christmas tree prompted a blaze that killed a couple and four of their young grandchildren.

Stokes is urging people to be mindful of the potential dangers of holiday decorations and practice good safety habits.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide