- The Washington Times - Saturday, February 7, 2015

Embattled NBC news anchor Brian Williams announced Saturday afternoon that he would be taking a break from “NBC Nightly News” following reports that he falsely reported being aboard a helicopter that was forced to make an emergency landing after taking enemy fire in Iraq in 2003.

“In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions,” Mr. Williams said in a note to NBC news staff.

“As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue,” Mr. Williams said. “Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.”

Mr. Williams has come under media fire this week after crew members aboard the Chinook helicopter in question told military newspaper Stars and Stripes that Mr. Williams was not on board the chopper that took enemy fire, but instead followed behind in a separate helicopter.

NBC announced earlier this week that it would be conducting an internal investigation into Mr. Williams news coverage on the event in Iraq as well as discrepancies in some of Mr. Williams‘ other reports, including claims that he saw a dead body float past his window in the French Quarter when he was covering Hurricane Katrian in New Orleans.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide