UPDATE: Dylann Roof has been apprehended in Shelby, North Carolina, CBS affiliate WLTX reported. Authorities are slated to hold a news conference soon.
Dylann Roof, 21, was identified by the FBI as the Charleston shooting suspect Thursday morning.
The FBI said Roof is 5‘9” and approximately 120 pounds, and could be driving a black 2000 Hyundai Elantra. the license plate is LGF330.
“This is an all-hands-on-deck effort with the community as well as law enforcement, and I think that with that effort we will find this person quickly,” Charleston Police Chief Greg Mullen said at a press conference.
Roof is from South Carolina and has been arrested twice in the state as an adult, Charleston’s Post and Courier newspaper reported.
Roof is from Lexington, S.C.
In a photo on his Facebook page, Roof is seen wearing a black jacket apartheid-era flags of South Africa and Rhodesia (now known as Zimbabwe).
The Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division is investigating the rampage as a hate crime.
Here is what we know about the shooting rampage:
* White gunman opened fire inside the historically black Emanuel AME church in Charleston, South Carolina around 9 p.m.
* Nine people are dead: Six women, three men.
* The Rev. Clementa Pinckney, a South Carolina state senator, among the dead.
* Eight victims died at the church, the ninth victim succumbed to wounds at a nearby hospital.
* Charleston Police Chief Gregory Mullen deemed the shooting a hate crime.
* The Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division has opened a hate crime investigation into the Charleston massacre.
* Gunman attended a Bible study/prayer group at the church for nearly an hour before unleashing the attack.
* Assailant allowed one woman to escape to explain to authorities what transpired.
* Child survived the rampage by playing dead
* Gunman is still on the run — and is considered armed and dangerous.
* Police released surveillance images of assailant entering the church.
• Washington Times Staff can be reached at 202-636-3000.