- The Washington Times - Monday, March 30, 2015

The White House denied reports Monday that Iran has backed out of an agreement to ship nuclear material out of its country as part of a broader agreement with the U.S. and other countries.

“The idea that there had been an agreement that Iran had backed away from in the last 24 hours is not true,” White House deputy press secretary Eric Schultz told reporters. “In terms of what’s going to happen with that stockpile, that is something our negotiators are working through, but it’s not accurate to say there had been an agreement that was then backtracked.”

U.S. officials said Monday they were still negotiating with their Iranian counterparts on how to dispose of Iran’s nuclear stockpile and said shipping the atomic fuel out of the country was still a possibility.

But on Sunday, Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Abbas Araqchi, said Tehran does not intend to send stockpiles of enriched uranium abroad.

“There is no question of sending the stocks abroad,” he said.



As talks go down to the wire this week, Mr. Schultz said President Obama is still willing to walk away from a bargain.

“The president has made clear that he’s not going to take a bad deal. … It’s going to be up to the Iranians in order to make some tough decisions as the deadline approaches,” he said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide