- The Washington Times - Friday, May 8, 2015

Floyd Mayweather is backtracking on reports that he’d be interested in a rematch against Manny Pacquiao, calling the Filipino fighter a “coward” and a “sore loser” for admitting right after his loss Saturday in Las Vegas that he had been dealing with a shoulder injury.

“Did I text Stephen A. Smith and say I will fight him again? Yeah, but I change my mind,” Mayweather said in an interview with Jim Gray, airing this weekend on Showtime.

“At this particular time, no, because he’s a sore loser and he’s a coward,” he said. “If you lost, accept the loss and say, ‘Mayweather, you were the better fighter.’”

After his defeat, Pacquiao said during his post-fight news conference that he thought he won the fight and that Mayweather “didn’t do nothing,” Sports Illustrated reported.

He also revealed that he had been dealing with an injury in in his right rotator cuff that may have limited him in the fight.

“Excuses, excuses, excuses,” Mayweather said. “I’m not going to buy into the bull–- … and I don’t want the public to buy into the bull–-. He lost. He knows he lost. I lost a lot of respect for him after all of this.”

Mayweather, 38, improved to 48-0 with Saturday’s win. He’s expected to take home at least $180 million from the fight, with Pacquiao clearing at least $100 million.

Mayweather said he will fight once more in September, per the terms of his contract, and “then it’s time for me to hang it up.”

His full interview will air Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on Showtime.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide