- The Washington Times - Friday, November 27, 2015

Malian special forces have arrested two men they believe are linked to the deadly hotel attack carried out by militants last week, authorities said in a statement Friday. 

The men were linked to a cell phone found at the scene of the attack and are suspected of helping execute the siege that killed 20 people at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Bamako, army Maj. Modibo Naman Traore said.  

Authorities arrested both men, who are in their early 30s, on the outskirts of the city. It was not made clear what their exact role was in the plot. 

“Questioning of these suspects will shed more light on the motivations of the perpetrators of the sordid terrorist attack perpetrated” at the Radisson Blu hotel on Nov. 20, said the statement sent by army Maj. Modibo Naman Traore, the New York Times reported.

Two gunmen armed with Kalashnikov rifles and explosives stormed the hotel early in the morning on Nov. 20, spraying bullets on tables of people gathered for breakfast. 

Malian troops, backed by French and American special forces, swarmed in to retake the building and free terrified guests and hotel staff during a siege that lasted more than seven hours.

The gunmen were killed at the scene, and on Monday state media broadcast their photos, asking anyone with information about them to come forward.

Six Malians and six Russians were killed along with three Chinese, two Belgians, one American, one Israeli and one Senegalese, according to Amadou Sangho, a spokesman for the interior ministry. 

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide