Metro Transit Police have charged an Prince George’s County man with misdemeanor sexual assault at a subway station, the transit agency’s first report of a sexual assault since officials failed to alert the public about a rape on a train in April.
Police said Jose Francisco Pleitez, 18, of Lanham, grabbed a woman’s buttocks at the L’Enfant Plaza station shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday. He ran away when the woman and her boyfriend confronted him, according to the police report. The victim pursued Mr. Pleitez and yelled for police, who followed him for several blocks before apprehending him.
Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld told members of Congress last month that officials did not issue an alert about an alleged rape in April on a Red Line train near Wheaton because the suspect had been quickly apprehended. He promised that all future sexual assaults would be reported promptly.