- The Washington Times - Friday, May 6, 2016

A federal law-enforcement officer was arrested Friday afternoon in Montgomery County, Maryland, in connection with three shooting deaths — including his estranged wife — over two days in the D.C. area.

Police apprehended Eulalio Tordil, 62, of Adelphi, without incident in an Aspen Hill shopping center just before 3 p.m. and transported him to the police headquarters.

Mr. Tordil, a Federal Protective Service officer, is suspected of fatally shooting Gladys Tordil, 44, at High Point High School in Beltsville during an altercation Thursday afternoon as she was waiting for their child to get out of school.

A man who tried to help was also shot, authorities said. He is in stable condition at an area hospital.

Police interviewed witnesses inside the school, though no one was taken into custody at the time.

About 11 a.m. Friday, Montgomery County police responded to reports of a shooting outside the Macy’s at Westfield Montgomery Mall, where they found three victims, two of whom may have been attempting aid the first shooting victim. One man later died, and another is in critical condition.

A woman was transported to an area hospital where she is expected to survive, authorities said.

Then about 11:35 a.m., another woman was shot at the Giant grocery store in Aspen Hill, about eight miles away from the Westfield mall. She died from her injuries, police said.

Prince George’s County Police said Friday they are looking into a connection between the two shootings and the Thursday evening slaying in Beltsville.

“Working across both jurisdictions now and have deputies in Montgomery County coordinating,” Prince George’s Police Chief Hank Stawinksi told The Washington Times.

Mr. Tordil had been placed on administrative duty from his job and had his duty weapon, badge and credentials removed as the result of a protective order issued against him in March, according to an official with the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Protective Service. He was subsequently placed on administrative leave.

The Prince George’s County Sheriff’s Office served a temporary protective order against Mr. Tordil at his workplace on March 6, at which time he turned over his work-issued firearm to deputies, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Sharon Taylor.

When a Prince George’s County judge approved a final protective order on March 17, Mr. Tordil was ordered to turn in any additional firearms. He brought six guns to the sheriff’s office, Ms. Taylor said.

“The challenge I think for us has always been if someone wants to hurt somebody, they are going to find a way. That is the tragedy that is associated with the violent crime of domestic violence,” she said. “Clearly this person had access to other guns, or to some place he could get other guns.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide