- Associated Press - Monday, November 7, 2016

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Latest on real estate heir Robert Durst’s murder charge in Los Angeles. (all times local):

2 p.m.

Real estate heir Robert Durst has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of a friend who authorities said Durst wanted to keep from talking to investigators looking into the disappearance of his first wife.

The 73-year-old Durst entered the plea Monday during a long-awaited appearance in a Los Angeles courtroom in the death of Susan Berman 16 years ago.

Durst was already a well-known figure in his native New York. But he became a national name when HBO aired the documentary “The Jinx” that followed his life and cast suspicion on him involving several crimes.

Los Angeles County prosecutors have been seeking to bring Durst to California since shortly after his arrest in March 2015.

But he first faced a federal weapons charge in New Orleans, where he pleaded guilty in April and then began serving a seven-year prison sentence in Indiana.

Durst’s attorney has said his client is eager to prove his innocence in Los Angeles.

___

12 a.m.

Real estate heir and documentary figure Robert Durst is set to make a long-awaited appearance Monday in a Los Angeles courtroom to a charge of killing his friend 16 years ago.

An afternoon arraignment is scheduled for Durst at the Airport Branch courthouse in Los Angeles for the killing of Susan Berman in 2000.

Los Angeles County prosecutors have been seeking to bring Durst to California since shortly after his arrest in March 2015.

The arrest came just as the final episode was airing of “The Jinx,” an HBO documentary that featured Durst and examined his alleged ties to the killing of Berman and several other crimes.

Before he could be brought to California, Durst faced a federal weapons charge in New Orleans. He pleaded guilty to that charge in April and has begun serving a seven-year prison sentence. He was brought to Los Angeles County jail from a federal prison in Indiana last week.

Durst’s attorney, Dick DeGuerin, has said Durst is just as eager to come to Los Angeles County and prove his innocence.

“We’ve been begging to get to California since two days after he was arrested,” DeGuerin told The Associated Press in September.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide