- Associated Press - Wednesday, November 9, 2016

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - A study says the number of school bomb threats in North Carolina last year rose noticeably from three years ago.

Citing a report from the nonprofit Educator’s School Safety Network, the Asheville Citizen-Times (https://avlne.ws/2ekm9Jf ) reports that there were 26 bomb threats reported by the North Carolina Department of Education during the 2015-16 school year, an 18.2 percent increase as compared to 2013-14.

The nonprofit says U.S. schools experienced nearly 1,300 bomb threats in 2015-16, an increase of 106 percent compared to that same period in 2012-13.

Officials say the threats create a frightening situation for parents and community members and hold the likelihood of severe penalties for people making the threats.

___

Information from: The Asheville Citizen-Times, https://www.citizen-times.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide