- Associated Press - Saturday, October 1, 2016

ERIE, Pa. (AP) - Authorities in northwestern Pennsylvania say careless smoking appears to have started a fire that killed a woman and her teenage granddaughter.

The county coroner said the blaze reported just before 3 a.m. Friday in the first-floor apartment in Erie killed 66-year-old Marianne Martin and 14-year-old Taylor Troutman.

The (Erie) Times-News (https://bit.ly/2dA5Vwa ) reports that the coroner ruled both deaths accidental. The cause of death is pending toxicology test results.

Erie fire officials said the woman was found on the dining room floor and the teenager was found in a bedroom. Five people in the second-floor apartment escaped unharmed.

A fire inspector said two smoke alarms were found in the unit, but it was unclear whether they were working, although one occupant on the second floor reported hearing an alarm.

___

Information from: Erie Times-News, https://www.goerie.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide