- Associated Press - Friday, October 14, 2016

BOOTHBAY, Maine (AP) - Investigators say a fire that claimed two lives in the town of Boothbay, Maine, was caused by a child playing with matches.

The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office said Friday the blaze started when a living room sofa caught fire and quickly spread through the two-story home. Officials say the child who started the fire was referred for counseling and that no charges were planned because of the child’s age.

Investigators say there were three working smoke detectors in the home.

Officials say the bodies of 50-year-old Baldomero “Bart” Zamora of Chicago and 23-year-old Lucas Farias were found next to windows on the second floor. Farias’ mother escaped by jumping out a second-floor window. The four other occupants also were hurt.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide