- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 4, 2016

LEONARDTOWN, Md. (AP) - Authorities say a homeowner was hurt when a fire spread from an attached garage to his house in St. Mary’s County.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release that the blaze was reported Monday afternoon in Leonardtown. Officials say the fire started because of a mechanical failure of a riding mower parked in the garage.

Authorities say the fire spread to the house, and the homeowner escaped through a rear door.

It took about 30 firefighters 15 minutes to bring the blaze under control. The homeowner was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Damage was estimated at $650,000.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide