Hillary Clinton has refused to go where Donald Trump went, rejecting an official invitation from the president of Mexico to visit his country.
In an interview with ABC News, set to air Tuesday, Mrs. Clinton gave the one word answer “no,” when asked if she would accept the invitation, according to a written transcript of the interview.
The former secretary of state did not elaborate, though campaign officials confirmed the refusal with Reuters news agency Monday night.
Earlier Monday while campaigning in Ohio, Mrs. Clinton had called Mr. Trump’s surprise visit to Mexico City last week as “an embarrassing international incident.”
And in the ABC interview in which she announced her refusal to meet with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, Mrs. Clinton continued to call Mr. Trump unqualified to hold diplomatic talks.
“He came out saying one thing and the Mexican president contradicted him almost immediately,” Mrs. Clinton said. “He didn’t raise it, so he did choke. He didn’t know how to even communicate effectively with a head of state. And I think that’s a pretty clear outcome from that trip.”
Mexican Foreign Minister Claudia Ruiz Massieu said in a tweet that Mexican officials “understand and respect her decision.”