- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 18, 2017

HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) - A Hagerstown fire official says a burning candle started a blaze at an apartment complex that left one man dead over the winter.

City Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said Tuesday that the candle on top of the stove ignited combustibles nearby and then spread to a trash can. Forty-one-year-old Francisco Louis Albright died of smoke inhalation.

DeHaven told The Herald-Mail (https://bit.ly/2oKYTWZ ) investigators concluded Albright turned on the kitchen faucet to douse the flames. But when his efforts failed, he turned his attention to rescuing a cat from a back bedroom. The cat also perished.

DeHaven says the fire was small and he believes Albright succumbed to the smoke as he tried to flee the building.

The fire marshal has previously said a sprinkler system “clearly” would have prevented Albright’s death.

___

Information from: The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md., https://www.herald-mail.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide