By Associated Press - Saturday, April 22, 2017

RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) - Two men who had been charged with murder in the stabbing death of a Rapid City man have pleaded guilty to reduced charges of manslaughter.

Nineteen-year-old Ranon Bissonette and 20-year-old Hunter High Pipe admitted in court Friday to stabbing 56-year-old Edward Lowry in September 2015 so they could steal his wallet

Bissonette revealed little emotion, whereas High Pipe wiped at tears, the Rapid City Journal reported (https://bit.ly/2pQ0haY ). A third suspect died by suicide shortly before two others were charged last May.



Prosecutors will recommend prison terms of up to 75 years for Bissonette and up to 40 years for High Pipe when they’re sentenced June 2.

Police Chief Karl Jegeris said investigators started out with “absolutely no suspects, no leads and no information” after Lowry’s body was found in a parking lot, but cracked the case with surveillance video from local businesses.

“We were able to put together a timeline in a puzzle, and we were able to show the tracking of movement of both the victim and the suspects,” he said.

Lowry worked in the newspaper’s printing plant.

___

Advertisement
Advertisement

Information from: Rapid City Journal, https://www.rapidcityjournal.com

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Story Topics

Please read our comment policy before commenting.