- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 26, 2017

SHOSHONE, Idaho (AP) - An Idaho man who was accused of shooting another man and leaving him in the desert has been found not guilty by a jury.

Antonio Jacob Gallegos, 22, was acquitted Monday of two attempted-murder charges, the Times-News reported (https://bit.ly/2pzxGty ).

The victim, Javier Bravo-Martinez, was shot five times but survived.

Gallegos‘ lawyer, Jeremy Pittard, said he convinced jurors that his “client was misidentified, despite the fact the victim and two other witnesses placed him there.”

Several witnesses testified they were with Gallegos the weekend of the shooting for a birthday party for his uncle that lasted for days.

Authorities had accused Gallegos of shooting Bravo-Martinez twice and said he was then shot three more times by David Gonzales Ceballos.

Gonzales Ceballos pleaded guilty earlier this year to attempted murder and received a prison sentence of 16 to 30 years.

Gallegos is currently serving time in prison for unrelated felony burglary and eluding convictions.

Gallegos may have been implicated in the shooting because he “made the decisions to run with the wrong crowd prior to this,” Pittard said.

“I think he’s starting to realize that, and I hope he can learn from this instead of being bitter,” he said.

___

Information from: The Times-News, https://www.magicvalley.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide