- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said Tuesday that he doesn’t have plans to re-enter politics with the presumed opening of Sen. Al Franken’s seat.

“I’m politically retired and if that changes, you’ll be among the first to know,” Mr. Pawlenty, a Republican, said to anchor Chris Cuomo on CNN.

Mr. Franken, Minnesota Democrat, announced his intention to resign from office last week after mounting allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct. He has not provided additional details about his resignation, leaving some to wonder if he will follow through with the action.

“I think it would be odd if he didn’t now,” Mr. Pawlenty said.

The former governor added that Mr. Franken “did the right thing” since some of the allegations had photographic evidence accompanying them. Mr. Pawlenty said it made the charges less disputable.



The seat would be filled during the 2018 midterm elections next fall, but Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton will appoint someone to fill the seat in the interim.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide