- Associated Press - Friday, February 10, 2017

NEW YORK (AP) - U.S. government lawyers have asked a judge in New York to dismiss one of the legal challenges to President Donald Trump’s travel ban on the grounds that the two Iraqis who were the original subjects of the case have both been freed from custody.

The legal petition was initially filed on behalf of two men who had been granted permission to come to the U.S. because of links to the U.S. military, but who were detained when they arrived at New York’s Kennedy Airport.

In papers filed Friday, the government said that since the men were ultimately allowed into the country, the case was moot.

ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt said the government isn’t correct and the case should be allowed to continue.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide