By Associated Press - Tuesday, January 10, 2017

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - Officials in Fayetteville plan to review their policy on repairing dams after the flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew last year.

The Fayetteville Observer reported ( ) the city has a policy of paying 10 percent of the cost of repairing dams if homeowners pay the other 90 percent.

City officials say no homeowner has tried to use the policy since it was put in place in 2007.

The city will not pay for any repairs unless there is a city street on top of the dam.

Some homeowners think the city should pay the entire cost. City council members don’t think taxpayers should handle all the costs of repairs.

City manager Doug Hewett said the city may want to reconsider its policy since no one has used it.


Information from: The Fayetteville Observer,

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide