- Associated Press - Monday, January 30, 2017

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Officials say an 88-year-old woman has died in a Des Moines house fire.

Firefighters were called early Sunday to the eastside home, where they found two occupants outside. They reported one resident was still inside, and firefighters who searched the home found the body of Deloise M. Veith.

Crews dealt with heavy smoke and fire on multiple levels of the 1½-story building.

Officials say numerous animals also died in the fire, including cats, birds and a hedgehog.

The fire started at a basement electrical outlet, which was overloaded by powering a space heater and refrigerator.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide