- Associated Press - Monday, June 26, 2017

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Police are considering criminal charges against an Alabama boy after he shot two other boys on Monday, killing one.

Montgomery police said a 9-year-old boy was killed and a 16-year-old was wounded by a single shot fired from a handgun inside a south Montgomery house. Capt. Regina Duckett told the Montgomery Advertiser that charges could be filed and the incident was being investigated as a “reckless act.” The 16-year-old’s wound to the upper body was not life threatening, police said

The dead 9-year-old was related to the boy who was being held. Duckett would not give the shooter’s age.

Duckett said a reckless act that leads to a death can lead to criminal charges regardless of intent. She confirmed that “responsible teenager” was inside the home at the time of the shooting, but would not say if that person was the 16-year-old who was shot.

Investigators are trying to determine if additional shots were fired.

“The family is grieved by this, the city is grieved by this,” Montgomery Public Safety Director Chris Murphy said during a news conference.

The Montgomery school system said it would offer counselors at a neighborhood elementary school, but refused to say whether the dead boy had been a student there.

It’s at least the third shooting death in Montgomery this year involving young children. A 14-year-old middle school student was shot and killed shortly after leaving school in May. A 13-year-old girl was shot and died at home in March by what police described as random gunfire with no intended target. At least three bullets hit her house.

___

Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide