- Associated Press - Thursday, March 2, 2017

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Fire crews are attempting to douse a chemical fire at a building in Toledo with water after determining the amount of the metal lithium inside the building wasn’t as much as first thought.

No injuries were reported in the blaze that broke out around 3 p.m. Thursday. Lithium Innovations’ six employees were evacuated and police set up a perimeter of several blocks for voluntary evacuations.

Officials said a few hours later that it was safe for any residents who evacuated to return home.

Lithium Innovations produces lithium materials used in the glass industry to make windows. Fire crews initially held off on using water to fight the fire because combining water and lithium produces a highly flammable hydrogen gas.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide