- Associated Press - Friday, March 3, 2017

BELLMAWR, N.J. (AP) - A Revolutionary War-era farmhouse that had been blocking a $900 million New Jersey interchange reconstruction project has been demolished.

Bellmawr Mayor Frank Filipek says demolition crews tore down the Hugg-Harrison-Glover House Friday.

The state Department of Transportation says the house was in such poor condition it didn’t meet historic designation requirements.

Filipek tells Philly.com the borough issued the state a demolition permit for the adjacent garage but not for the house.

The home had long stood in the path of the Interstate 295/state Route 42 project.

The president of Camden County’s historical society says the group had filed an injunction Thursday amid concerns over pre-demolition steps taken in recent weeks.

Democratic U.S. Rep. Donald Norcross had proposed moving the house to save it. The transportation department says asbestos, lead and crumbling bricks made that impossible.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide