- The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Los Angeles Police Department said Wednesday it cannot investigate a child molestation complaint filed by actor Corey Feldman because the statute of limitations has expired.

Los Angeles police detectives are committed to protecting victims of sexual assault, and will thoroughly investigate any report of a sex-related crime,” said LAPD spokesman Sal Ramirez in a telephone interview.

“In the case of Corey Feldman, unfortunately, according to California law, the alleged occurrence is out of statute, and robbery/homicide detectives have no other avenues to pursue this case,” he said.

Mr. Ramirez said the robbery/homicide division investigates high-profile complaints involving celebrities, and added that the department “applauds Mr. Feldman for coming forward.”

“The latest rash of sexual assaults are particularly troubling, and the LAPD encourages and will gladly take a report from anyone who feels they may be a victim,” Mr. Ramirez said.

Mr. Feldman, 46, tweeted Monday that he had been formally interviewed by the department after telling authorities that he was abused by a Hollywood child sex ring when he was underage.

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law in 2016 repealing the state’s 10-year statute of limitations on rape and child molestation, but the law is not retroactive and only applies to crimes committed after the legislation took effect Jan. 1.

Mr. Feldman, who is trying to raise $10 million for a movie about the alleged Hollywood pedophile ring, has recently named names after years of refusing to do so over fears about his personal safety and lawsuits.

He said during interviews last week on “The Dr. Oz Show” and “The Today Show” that he was abused by actor Jon Grissom and talent agent Marty Weiss, both of whom are convicted sexual offenders.

Neither has commented publicly on the allegations.

Mr. Feldman said in an open letter Wednesday that he was emboldened to offer more details in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, during which a number of celebrities have told stories of sexual harassment and assault at the hands of the now-disgraced producer.

“It is because of your courage, my story has found new hope,” said Mr. Feldman. “This is a courage I pray will spread to the countless adults who were abused as children, and to the children who may have just recently suffered an abuse.”

He filed a sexual-abuse complaint in 1993 with Santa Barbara law enforcement, but authorities said in a statement read on the air by Dr. Mehmet Oz that Mr. Feldman never identified suspects, which he has disputed, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Dr. Oz and others had encouraged Mr. Feldman to go to the Los Angeles police over his longstanding allegations.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide