- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 18, 2017

MIAMI (AP) - Authorities say 14 employees at a Florida school were hospitalized following a possible gas leak in the cafeteria.

The Miami Herald reports that the Miami Springs Middle School workers noticed a suspicious smell and began complaining of dizziness and nausea around noon Wednesday. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Felipe Lay says 17 fire-rescue teams, including a hazmat crew, responded. The workers’ conditions weren’t immediately reported.

Firefighters evacuated the cafeteria and a nearby classroom. No students had been in the cafeteria, and none of the students from the classroom showed symptoms. A school district spokeswoman says classes continued, and lunch was served in other parts of the school.

Lay says carbon monoxide was detected in the cafeteria before fans were brought in. School officials believe the cafeteria’s propane system may have malfunctioned.


Information from: The Miami Herald, https://www.herald.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide