- Associated Press - Friday, October 20, 2017

SANFORD, Maine (AP) - A large fire has ravaged a neighborhood in Maine, with officials saying it destroyed six buildings and sent at least four people to the hospital.

Witnesses told the state Fire Marshal’s Office they smelled smoke long before they saw flames spread to four buildings in Sanford Thursday afternoon. State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas says it’s likely the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette and the cause isn’t suspicious.

The fire was under control by 4 p.m. Thursday.

Sanford Fire Chief Steven Benotti says four people were transported to area hospitals, including one person who suffered a heart attack.

Officials said power lines also caught fire, creating a dangerous situation for firefighters.

Thomas says fire marshals will attempt to pinpoint the fire’s cause Friday.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide