- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 24, 2017

It was once referred to as President Richard Nixon’s “Western White House.” Indeed, the Spanish Colonial Revival mansion with its traditional stucco and ornate tile was built in 1926 in San Clemente, California on six acres overlooking the Pacific. Nixon bought the home — which he called “Casa Pacifica” — in 1968 and sold it in 1980, six years after he resigned from office. The 37th president had decided to move to New York to be closer to his grandchildren.

The home, meanwhile, is a doozy, with vaulted ceilings, multiple archways and an “entertainer’s pavilion.” The home served as a popular destination for many luminaries, including Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, John Wayne and such statesmen as Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev and Henry Kissinger.

It’s big. Very big. The main house is 9,000 square feet with four bedrooms and seven baths. The former president obviously enjoyed visitors. There are four extra guest cottages on the property which add another seven bedrooms and seven baths, bringing the square footage of living space up to 15,000 square feet.

“The lushly landscaped grounds slope gently down to 450 feet of white sand beach,” according to the Sotheby’s International Reality agents who are listing the property for the current owner. “Grounds also include formal and cutting gardens, vegetable gardens, exotic succulent gardens, a greenhouse, a catering facility with separate entrance, a lighted tennis court, pool and pool terrace, a gazebo on the bluff and great expanses of lawn. There is also a private well for landscape water.”

The price: $63.5 million — reduced from $75 million when the house was put up for sale two years ago.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide