- The Washington Times - Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Gold Star mother says former President Barack Obama made “no effort” to call her after her son was killed in 2010.

Julie Schrock, whose Marine son, Cpl. Max Donahue, died at age 23 after he was hit by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan, told the New York Post that she felt disrespected by Mr. Obama after he sent his condolences in the form of a letter that didn’t bear his real signature.

Her story comes after President Trump was criticized for his alleged treatment of the Gold Star widow of an Army sergeant killed in Niger, who said Mr. Trump couldn’t remember her husband’s name and reminded her that “he knew what he signed up for” during a condolence calls earlier this month. Mr. Trump has denied the widow’s account, saying he spoke Army Sgt. La David Johnson’s name from the beginning and that their conversation was “very respectful.”

Mr. Trump also defended himself by saying Mr. Obama didn’t even make phone calls to the families of fallen soldiers — a claim that was widely reported as being a lie.

Ms. Schrock, of Colorado, told the New York Post that all she received from Mr. Obama was a letter “signed by a computer.”

“I’m a Gold Star mother and it pains me to see what is happening,” she wrote in a letter to columnist Michael Goodwin. “The media bias is obvious to anyone willing to dig a little deeper than just believing what they hear on the news.

“When my son died, then President Obama not only made no effort to reach out, but the condolence letter we received was signed by a computer. He didn’t even sign the letter!” she continued. “Then, when I received multiple copies of the letter, I was told there was a computer ‘glitch’ that wasn’t fixed yet so more would probably keep coming and I should just throw them away. Not even a Sorry!

“I anonymously reported this to our local news station, which ran it one time versus the three days of Trump mishandling of a Gold star condolence. Sad and hurtful to say the least,” she added.

Cpl. Donahue, a Marine military-police dog handler, was severely injured by an IED in August 2010 while working with his dog in the Helmand province, the Denver Post reported at the time. He died two days later in the U.S. after having both his legs and right arm amputated.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide