- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 3, 2017

DEXTER, Mich. (AP) - Officials say a fire that started in an area being used to store woodchips caused widely visible smoke plumes in southeastern Michigan.

Dexter Area Fire Chief Robert Smith tells The Ann Arbor News that the fire department responded on Monday evening after a “massive pile” of woodchips caught fire in a gravel pit. No injuries were reported, but heavy equipment was needed to deal with the blaze.

Smith says the fire isn’t expected to spread, but smoke could continue. The gravel pit is located about 40 miles (60 kilometers) east of Detroit.

The cause of the fire wasn’t immediately known.

___

Information from: The Ann Arbor News, https://www.mlive.com/ann-arbor


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide