- Associated Press - Friday, October 6, 2017

DEXTER, Mich. (AP) - A fire that started in an area being used to store woodchips in southeastern Michigan has been smoldering for days.

Fire crews responded on Monday evening after large pile of woodchips caught fire in a gravel pit. No injuries were reported, but the fire caused widely visible smoke plumes.

Dexter Area Fire Chief Robert Smith tells The Ann Arbor News that the fire may have started due to spontaneous combustion. He said Thursday he’s been checking on it a few times a day and it could smolder into Saturday.

The gravel pit is located near Dexter, about 40 miles (60 kilometers) east of Detroit.

___

Information from: The Ann Arbor News, https://www.mlive.com/ann-arbor


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide