- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 4, 2018

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - Officials say a fatal fire in Virginia was caused by someone smoking a cigarette in bed while using oxygen.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department said in a news release Tuesday that units were dispatched for a reported house fire in Lees Corner on Friday. Two people who were at the home during the fire were taken to a hospital. One occupant was treated and released. However, the other person died of his injuries.

News outlets report units arrived on scene and observed smoke coming from the second floor of a two-story single-family home. Officials say crews located a fire in a bedroom and extinguished it.


TOP STORIES
Russia tables turn, roping Clinton, Obama, Holder, not Trump
Student says teacher yanked 'Women for Trump' pin off chest, files police report: 'It's not OK'
Rand Paul fears impeachment will 'dumb down and destroy the country'


Investigators have determined the fire was accidental. Damages from are estimated to be upward of $18,000.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide