- Associated Press - Thursday, April 5, 2018

SALEM, Mass. (AP) - A former school bus driver charged with kidnapping and raping a 13-year-old special needs student nearly 20 years ago is scheduled to stand trial this fall.

A lawyer for 44-year-old Henry Gonzalez said in court Wednesday that he and prosecutors are discussing a deal that could resolve the case before trial in September. The Salem News reports that Gonzalez was previously scheduled to stand trial in 2000 before he disappeared.

Prosecutors say they discovered the former bus driver was living in the Dominican Republic nearly a decade later.


TOP STORIES
EXCLUSIVE: High-level, N.K. defector implores Trump to foment coup; tells president he's been duped
Student says teacher yanked 'Women for Trump' pin off chest, files police report: 'It's not OK'
AOC says 'white supremacist sympathizer' Tucker Carlson is keeping her from going on Fox News


Authorities allege that in 1998 Gonzalez picked up the girl at her home, but instead of taking her to school he took her to a Lynn apartment and raped her.

Gonzalez remains held without bail in the case.



___

Information from: The Salem (Mass.) News, http://www.salemnews.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide