- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 20, 2018

George Clooney on Tuesday said that he and his wife are donating $500,000 toward March for Our Lives, an anti-gun violence demonstration in D.C. being organized by survivors of last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

“Amal and I are so inspired by the courage and eloquence of these young men and women from Stoneman Douglas High School,” Mr. Clooney, 56, said in a statement, Variety first reported. “Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we’re donating $500,000 to help pay for this groundbreaking event. Our children’s lives depend on it.”

Slated for March 24, the demonstration is being organized by five students who survived the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Broward County — Jacqueline Coren, Emma Gonzalez, Cameron Kasky, David Hogg and Alex Wind — in collaboration with the Everytown for Gun Safety nonprofit group.

“March For Our Lives is created by, inspired by and led by students across the country who will no longer risk their lives waiting for someone else to take action to stop the epidemic of mass school shootings that has become all too familiar,” according to the demonstration’s website.

Police said Nikolas Cruz, 19, went to his former school Marjory Stoneman Douglas High and opened fired with a legally purchased AR-15, killing 17 and wounding 15 others. Mr. Cruz had previously been expelled from the school. The suspect was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder and is being held without bond.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide