ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - There’s one less name on the list of possible Republican challengers to Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Former investment manager Harry Wilson announced his decision not to run Monday on Facebook. The 46-year-old Westchester County resident cited his family and four daughters and said he can’t commit the time needed to campaign or run the state.
“Faced with the difficult choice of being a great governor and inadequate father, or a good father who doesn’t run for office … I have to choose the latter,” he said.
Wilson has experience in turning around troubled companies and served on the task force created by Democratic President Barack Obama to save the auto industry following the economic downturn. He was an unsuccessful candidate for state comptroller in 2010. He did not rule out a future run for office and said he believes his background and leadership could have helped the state move forward.
Cuomo is considered a possible presidential candidate in 2020 but has said he’s focused on seeking a third term this November. Democrats mentioned as possible primary challengers to the governor include Stephanie Miner, the outgoing mayor of Syracuse; former Democratic state Sen. Terry Gipson of the Hudson Valley; and actress Cynthia Nixon.
Upstate Republican lawmaker Brian Kolb, the leader of the Assembly’s GOP minority, launched his campaign for governor last month. Other possible candidates include Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro and state Sen. John DeFrancisco of Syracuse.
New York Republican Party Chairman Ed Cox said he expects the GOP to mount a serious campaign against Cuomo and the Democratic Party.
“We’ve had one party that’s had the governorship for three terms,” he said. “It’s about their record and what they’ve done. And their record is a terrible record.”
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.