- Associated Press - Monday, January 22, 2018

WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, N.C. (AP) - Gov. Roy Cooper is urging North Carolina residents to contact the federal government and express their opposition to expanding offshore oil and gas exploration, and says the state will sue if it’s not exempted from President Donald Trump administration’s five-year drilling plan.

Cooper spoke at a news conference Monday near Wilmington to repeat his criticism of the Department of the Interior proposal to open more waters to drilling.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke announced earlier this month that Florida’s coastline would be exempted, although another Trump administration official said last week nothing had been finalized.

Cooper says North Carolina has the same concerns about protecting the tourism industry as Florida does, and points out that many local North Carolina elected officials and groups have expressed their opposition to offshore drilling.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide