- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 23, 2018

SPANAWAY, Wash. (AP) - A Washington man is suing a tool retailer after he says he caught on fire while using a gardening tool in his yard.

Brandon Austin of Spanaway says he was burning his weeds last August with a Greenwood Propane Torch when the torch caught on fire in his hands.

Austin’s attorney, Darrell Cochran, says Austin’s hands, arms, neck and upper torso were burned and he has permanent scars. Cochran says Austin suffered second- and third-degree burns.

Austin has filed suit against Harbor Freight Tools naming them as owner of the Greenwood trademark.

A spokeswoman for Harbor Freight Tools says the company does not comment on pending litigation.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says Harbor Freight Tools had a similar product recalled in 2001 for faulty hoses.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide